Thursday, January 27, 2011

Frugalphotog now does video!!

Many clients and potential clients have been asking me lately if I do video. Since the majority of my income comes from EVENT photography, this request comes as no surprise. About a year ago I undertook the task of learning to use Adobe Premiere, the standard of video editing software.
I had until that time been using Pinnacle Studio 10 and 11, and while the programs themselves are fairly comfortable to use, I was unhappy for several reasons. Firstly, as a professional, I wanted more control, or at least the opportunity to have more control should I need it. secondly, using the industry standard will make me look better and allow me to interface with peers with similar skills. Thirdly, I was completely disgusted with Pinnacle. I had first used Studio when it was version 5, some 8-10 years ago. When I purchased version 10, I was shocked to find that some simple functions which were free in Studio 5 needed to be purchased and “unlocked” in version 10. Like what functions?
SPEEDING UP AND SLOWING DOWN VIDEO.
Ridiculous!!
Green Screening/Chroma keying? Pay extra? WTH?
Anyway, so I learned to use Adobe Premiere, there were some great resources available on Adobe’s website, and I was able to learn the whole thing for free. I was still not offering video services, because I had a junky camera. A MiniDV Canon ZR800 to be exact. I started using Premiere to make video montages which I would project at Bar/Bat Mitzvahs for an extra fee. Several people hired me to record their events and make them DVDs, even though I clarified to them that my camera was not by any means professional grade. I think it made me work extra hard to produce true works of art for them, and I spent many hours honing my editing skills. In the process I picked up some wonderful experiences. 2 bar mitzvahs and some band recording, plus assorted “music videos” to be exact. All of my clients were very happy. I decided I would keep an eye out for a deal on an HD good quality camera. HDSLR Video was definitely not for me. I felt that video should be left to video cameras, and photography to cameras. Plus the limits of SLR Video make it a no brainer that it will not be good for events.
The reason this is a blog post is because I recently became the owner of a shiny, brand new, HD Video camera. A canon HF S200 to be exact. I immediately perused the DIY video blogs, of which I found 2 which have been most helpful, filmflap.blogspot.com (The Frugal Filmmaker Blog), and cheesycam.com. Please hit me in the comments if you know of any more good ones.
So the frugalphotog Blog is now proud to announce that there will be posts about photo AND video hacks, DIYs, deals, and resources. I can’t promise anything, but I will try to document my adventures for your enjoyment. Make sure to sign up for the mailing list, as some deals I post are very time sensitive!
-Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment